It's a beautiful Saturday in Saratoga Mamatogians and there is lots to do! We are dog-sitting this weekend (which brings our lab total up to three, lots of dustbusting of fur tumbleweeds going on here...) so we're going to go explore a new nature trail with them to tire them out! Then the kids and I are going up to North Country Horses to do some riding and then swing by the track to check out the 131st running of the Alabama Stakes, I can't wait! What is everyone else up to this weekend? Here are some ideas if you need some, and have a great weekend! SATURDAY:
- Easter Seals New York will hold their 2nd Annual Wins for Kids at the Saratoga Race Course from 12:30 to 5:00 pm, offering an afternoon of live horse racing, cocktails, and gourmet food! All proceeds from Wins for Kids will support Easter Seals New York’s Camp Colonie. Camp Colonie, located in the Capital Region, is a New York State Education Department approved summer school and day camp for children with disabilities, special needs and their typically developing peers.
- Saturday is also the 131st running of the Alabama Stakes at the track and it also kicks of the 2011 Travers Festival in Saratoga Springs! Each year, events and entertainment at the Travers Festival include live music, street festivals, the Travers Celebration Gala, food competitions and cook-offs, giveaways and much more. Last year, most of the 50+ events planned were charity oriented and family friendly.
- The Saratoga Farmers' Market goes on today from 9am to 1pm at the Pavilions at High Rock Park on High Rock Ave in Saratoga. Vote here to help our very own Farmers' Market be the number one favorite Farmers' Market in America! Check out our review of the Saratoga Farmers' Market here. Also today at the market Slow Food Saratoga Region kicks off a new program teaching basic cooking skills at Saturday’s Saratoga Farmers’ Market. This week, John Sconzo, the organization’s president and co-founder, teaches basic egg cookery. Participants can cook and eat their own free-range eggs from chickens donated by Elihu Farm.
- Yaddo is having a garden tour today at 11am, it is a docent led tour of the Yaddo gardens that will share history of the Trask Family and the Yaddo Artists Retreat. Tour is approximately one hour and the cost is $5.
- Going on from Sat, Aug 20, 2011 until Sun, Aug 21, 2011 from 10am to 5pm is the Saratoga Arts Celebration at the National Museum of Dance, 99 South Broadway in Saratoga. The Saratoga Arts Celebration is a juried fine arts and fine crafts festival of visual and performing arts. There will be over 100 juried artists exhibiting representing over 25 states and Canada, children's activities, demonstrations, art talks, dance and musical performances and a food court. The National Museum of Dance will host this event on the great lawn of the Museum. The festival and parking are FREE and the event is FAMILY FRIENDLY.Cost is free and it will go on rain or shine.
- Like giveaways? Head to the track today for their sports bag giveaway! Visitors can pick up a Saratoga Sports Bag, the newest Saratoga souvenir, FREE with paid admission while supplies last.
- Catwalk for Kidneys is being held at the Gideon Putnam Hotel in Saratoga from 10:30am to 1:30pm. If you have a passion for fashion, then don't miss this event! Enjoy brunch in Saratoga at the fabulous Gideon Putnam Resort and enjoy a preview of Saratoga fashion. Gracing the Catwalk will be Miss New York City Brittaney Jasenski and her sister Kylie, local favorites Ciara Austin, Takara Wiles, Chris Wessell, Rebecca Ehle, Nicaya Isabella, and Colleen Cunningham. Enjoy fashion from Rockabella, Piper, Evoke Style, Bird of Paradise Boutique and Something Blue Bridal. Cost is $45 per person.
- Sunday kicks off Travers Restaurant Week! Running through Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at participating restaurants throughout the Capital Region, restaurants will feature three-course meals from limited menus for $18.64, a price chosen to reflect the year of the first running of the Saratoga Race Course’s biggest event. All participating restaurants will offer the $18.64 menus for dinner from Sunday, Aug. 22, through Thursday, Aug. 26; the 141st running of the $1 million Travers Stakes is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 28. See the list of restaurants and their menus here. Menus generally include several choices of appetizers, entrées and desserts; tax, tip and beverage are extra. A comparison of several Travers Restaurant Week menus with restaurants’ regular prices suggest the promotion reflects a savings of $5 to $10 per meal. Restaurants from 11 Capital Region communities are participating in Travers Restaurant Week, but none are in Saratoga Springs. The absence likely reflects the fact that Spa City restaurants do not need to offer discounts during their busiest season to lure diners; restaurants elsewhere in the region, however, often lose business to Saratoga during track season. Restaurant Weeks are usually offered during slower periods of the year.