Hello readers! There's a 70% chance of rain today in our fair city, so it might be tough to make plans, but there are some fun indoor things happening today! Also don't forget about our favorite indoor activities, bowling at Saratoga Strike Zone, hanging out at the Tree Paad or going to the movies! You can check out the movie times at the Wilton Mall (which also has a bouncy castle) here! I hope you have fun and stay dry, and don't forget to check out our sneak peek for Monday at the end of the post too!
- Continuing today from 10am to 5pm is the Saratoga Arts Celebration at the National Museum of Dance, 99 South Broadway in Saratoga. The Saratoga Arts Celebration is a juried fine arts and fine crafts festival of visual and performing arts. There will be over 100 juried artists exhibiting representing over 25 states and Canada, children's activities, demonstrations, art talks, dance and musical performances and a food court. The National Museum of Dance will host this event on the great lawn of the Museum. The festival and parking are FREE and the event is FAMILY FRIENDLY.Cost is free and it will go on rain or shine
- Like giveaways? Head to the track today for their sports bag giveaway! Visitors can pick up a Saratoga Sports Bag, the newest Saratoga souvenir, FREE with paid admission while supplies last.
- Catwalk for Kidneys is being held at the Gideon Putnam Hotel in Saratoga from 10:30am to 1:30pm. If you have a passion for fashion, then don't miss this event! Enjoy brunch in Saratoga at the fabulous Gideon Putnam Resort and enjoy a preview of Saratoga fashion. Gracing the Catwalk will be Miss New York City Brittaney Jasenski and her sister Kylie, local favorites Ciara Austin, Takara Wiles, Chris Wessell, Rebecca Ehle, Nicaya Isabella, and Colleen Cunningham. Enjoy fashion from Rockabella, Piper, Evoke Style, Bird of Paradise Boutique and Something Blue Bridal. Cost is $45 per person.
- Today at 5:30pm at Saratoga Polo is the Ylvisaker Tournament, a tribute to former Saratoga Polo owner and one of the first names in American polo, the late Bill Ylvisaker. Cost is Clubhouse Un-Reserved $25 per person, General Admission $25 per car load, Clubhouse reserved $40 a person, General Admission Reserved $40 per car load. Check out our review of Saratoga Polo here.
- Sunday kicks off Travers Restaurant Week! Running through Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at participating restaurants throughout the Capital Region, restaurants will feature three-course meals from limited menus for $18.64, a price chosen to reflect the year of the first running of the Saratoga Race Course’s biggest event. All participating restaurants will offer the $18.64 menus for dinner from Sunday, Aug. 22, through Thursday, Aug. 26; the 141st running of the $1 million Travers Stakes is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 28. See the list of restaurants and their menus here. Menus generally include several choices of appetizers, entrées and desserts; tax, tip and beverage are extra. A comparison of several Travers Restaurant Week menus with restaurants’ regular prices suggest the promotion reflects a savings of $5 to $10 per meal. Restaurants from 11 Capital Region communities are participating in Travers Restaurant Week, but none are in Saratoga Springs. The absence likely reflects the fact that Spa City restaurants do not need to offer discounts during their busiest season to lure diners; restaurants elsewhere in the region, however, often lose business to Saratoga during track season. Restaurant Weeks are usually offered during slower periods of the year.
Sneak Peek for Monday...
- The Children's Museum at 2pm has Summer Science Live Animals! Join them each week for hands-on learning about the different ways science is all around us. This week the kids will learn about live animals! Recommended for ages 5 and up.Cost is $2 per child plus admission to the museum.
- The Saratoga Springs Public Library has The Puppet People presenting The Firebird at 3pm! Using handcrafted marionettes, lavish costumes, vivid sets, and a large body puppet The Puppet People present the tale inspired by the Russian folktale and popular ballet of The Firebird.Tickets are free available in the Children's Room.
- The Washington County Fair starts on Monday at the Washington County Fairgrounds, Greenwich, NY at 10am. Fun family entertainment! A celebration of agriculture in Washington County, NY. Livestock, Rodeo, Motorsports, Exhibits and Carnival. The cost is $10 for adults, children under 14 is free.