Good morning readers! It's looking pretty ominous out there right now, the chance of rain is 80% for today, but there is a bunch of indoor stuff going on today and check out the movies at the Wilton Mall too (also home to the bouncy castle!).
- SPECIAL NOTE: The Beagle School has limited openings in their 2 day am, 3 day am, and 3 day pm classes at their Regent Street location. Please contact Mary Wainerdi or Carolyn Hoffman at 587-7507 for additional information.
- Story Art is today at 10:30am at the Children's Museum. Reading together is always better, so please join them Thursdays for Story Art! Each week they will read an exciting new story to inspire a different art project. Imaginations welcome! Cost is free with admission.
- Today at the Saratoga Library join Hola-La! They use Pepa, their mascot, to teach children Spanish through fun and interactive bilingual stories and activities. Each session will feature a new offering on a different theme. No tickets required, but space is limited. For ages 3 and older. From 11am-12pm in the Dutcher Community Room. Admission is free.
- Today is also World Travelers: France at the Saratoga Library at 1:45pm. They caught the bug-the travel bug, that is! This month we are going to France. Their guest instructor, the well-traveled Nisha, takes children ages 3 to 5 on an adventure every month visiting new countries and learning their language, snacks, stories, art and songs. Cost is free with admission.
- Join the McCarthy family in their goal to raise $1500 for the second year in a row to support the fight against childhood cancer with the 2nd Annual McCarthy Family Lemonade Stand to Fight Childhood Cancer today and Friday, August 26th. There will be two stands: One on Thursday, the 25th, at the McCarthy House on 26 Brookside Drive in Saratoga Springs, from 2pm-7pm. The second stand will be on Friday the 26th, from4pm-9pm, at G Wilikers Toys at 461 Broadway in Saratoga Springs. For more information call 610.649.3034.
- The Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is having their Luncheon and Fashion Show at the Saratoga Race Course at 11am. The cost is $150 - $250.
- Green Conscience Home & Garden at 33 Church St. in Saratoga is having a Stop Painting Your Walls presentation from 6pm to 7:30pm. Learn a new 'green' way to add color and texture with American Clay plasters. Attend a presentation and learn easy ways to apply the plaster. This product has zero VOC's, is easily repaired if damaged, resists mold and dust, can be applied over drywall, painted walls, cement block or brick. Cost: $10 (includes supplies).
- In case you missed the Saratoga Market yesterday, the Ballston Spa Farmers' Market is open today from 3-6 pm at Wiswall Park. A wide variety of locally grown, vegetables, fruits, eggs, meats, flowers and plants are available along with baked goods, specialty food items and handcrafted goods. Thursday markets take place just before the summer concerts...
- ...and tonight after the Ballston Spa Market they continue their popular free Concerts in the Park series. Bring your blankets, lawn chairs and a picnic and dine al fresco (or enjoy what you just bought at the market!) while enjoying the best in local music, from indie rock to pop, jazz to country. The concerts take place every Thursday evening through August from 6-8 pm in Wiswall Park. Tonight WEQX presents Deluka with Ten Pound Tiger.
- TS Ensemble is playing tonight at Prime at Saratoga National at 7pm.
- The Children's Museum has Wiggle and Giggle at 10am: a time for children to explore the many different things that they can do with their bodies...crawl through tunnels, walk the balance beam, roll balls, toss bean bags, and make music with all kinds of instruments. A great time to meet new friends and get some exercise. Cost is free with admission.
- Today is Battle of the Brews to Benefit the American Red Cross at the Saratoga Race Course from noon to 4pm. The American Red Cross Adirondack Saratoga Chapter and DeCrescente Distributing proudly present the 14th annual Battle of the Brews, pitting some of the region's finest craft brews in head-to-head competition to determine which beer reigns supreme. Cost is $30. Your admission includes beer sampling, light food refreshments, and a commemorative beer glass, all brought to you in an ideal spot behind the main grandstand. For More Information Call: (518) 792-6545.
- The 13th Annual Travers Wine Tasting to benefit Senior Services of Albany's Meals on Wheels program and other senior-related services is tonight at the National Museum of Racing in Saratoga from 7-10pm. Cost is $135-$150.
- The Tang Museum at Skidmore College has UpBeat on the Roof tonight from 7 to 8:30pm with the Tichy Boys, father and son swing-a-billy. Free admission.
- Revelers are invited to celebrate the Travers Eve Party on Friday night downtown. Much like the Hats Off and Final Stretch festivals, Travers Eve will feature live music, entertainment and lots to do downtown. Saratoga’s world-class jockeys will be signing autographs at the Saratoga Downtowner parking lot on Broadway from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Top riders with mounts in the Travers will be there to meet. Fans will receive a free collector’s Saratoga Race Course 2011 Jockey Autograph Book while supplies last. The autograph book is sponsored by Hannaford Supermarkets and features the top jockeys from 2010. Special “Horse Squishy” foam figurines for kids will be available at Impressions, G. Willikers, Celtic Treasures, The Candy Company, Ben and Jerry’s, Plum Dandy, Soave Faire and Zola Kids. Saratoga Race Course Mardi Gras beads with a medallion featuring the 2011 Travers Stakes logo, will be available at Hattie’s, Gaffney’s, Lillian’s, Circus Café, the Olde Bryan Inn, Sperry’s, Ben and Jerry’s, Irish Times and The Parting Glass (one item per person while supplies last). Reggie and the Red Hot Feetwarmers, MaryLeigh and the Fauves, the Racing City Chorus, Sparkles the Tall Juggler, face painter P.J Duell and balloon artists Mr. and Mrs. Bill will all be at the Broadway party. Live music will be at a number of Saratoga’s favorite restaurants and venues including: Erin Harkes at Gaffney’s; Street Corner Holler at the Mouzon House; Joe Gitto Trio at One Caroline Street Bistro; Joey & the Classics at the Inn at Saratoga; Cleen Street at The Irish Times; Upbeat on the Roof with the Tichy Boys at Skidmore; Al & Kathy Bain at the Olde Bryan Inn; Chandler Travis Three-O at Caffe Lena; Club Crush with DJ Mike Morgan at Saratoga Gaming and Raceway; and Michael Panza and The Peg Delaney Duo at Panza’s Restaurant. Cover charges may apply.
- It's TRAVERS Mamatogians! This is Saratoga's biggest race - the one the don't want to miss - the 142nd running of the $1 million Travers, the "Mid-Summer Derby" for three-year-olds at a mile and a quarter at the Saratoga Race Course. Who do you think will win it this year?
- Today is also the 22nd Annual Saratoga Bridges Travers Day at the Races - 11am; Buffet open from Noon - 3pm. Held on Travers Day at Saratoga Race Course, this event includes premium seating and hospitality with a delicious buffet and beverage service at The Carousel Restaurant. Ticket price is $125 and includes one complimentary cocktail per person, admission to The Clubhouse and a Post Parade Program.