There are a lot of great things going on this weekend Mamatogians, and in an effort to give you a heads up on the planning here is the Weekend Sneak Peek! Keep in mind that at the Saratoga Library, registration begins for all preschool programs on Saturday. Everyone may register, regardless of residency, for all toddler and preschool storytimes, story/music, story/art and/or the parent/child workshops. There's a free pilates class this Saturday, a kids improv class, a foil raft program at CMOST, and a Shearing Open House! Get all the details here and plan a fantastic weekend! Friday, Jan. 6th
- Wiggle & Giggle at the Children’s Museum is a time for children to explore the many different things that they can do with their bodies! From 10-11:30am we will crawl through tunnels, walk the balance beam, roll balls, toss bean bags, and make music with all kinds of instruments. Drop in anytime between 10:00am and 11:30am to meet new friends and get some exercise!
Saturday, Jan. 7th
The Pilates Institute at 37 Henry Street, Suite 202 in Saratoga Springs is having a FREE New Year’s Pilates Mat Class from 10-11am. Let The Pilates Institute help you get started on those resolutions for 2012 with a Free Trial Mat Class, plus if you sign up for their next Saturday Mat 8-Class Series you receive a special rate of $90!
Head to Caffe Lena at 47 Phila Street in Saratoga Springs for the Ellis Paul Special Family Show at 11am! Ellis performs songs off his “Parent’s Choice” award winning family album, “The Dragonfly Races” and his NEW album “The Hero In You”! All ages $5 kids/$10 adult.
- At the Saratoga Library, registration begins for all preschool programs today. Beginning Saturday, January 7, everyone may register, regardless of residency, for all toddler and preschool storytimes, story/music, story/art and/or the parent/child workshops. Stop by the Children’s Room or call 518-584-7860 opt 3 to register. Register once for the entire series.
- At the Hyde Collection in Glens Falls they are having Saturday Morning Workshops are FREE and for ages 6-14. Adults are welcome but not required. New topic each week! This week is New Year’s Portrait Party- Who will you invite? Meet the people in The Hyde Collection’s portraits and invite them to a party in your painting project. Party favors provided.
- Check out the new Workshop at the World Awareness Children’s Museum in Glens Falls: Learn the Chinese Lion Dance. Running three consecutive Saturdays: January 7, 14 and 21 from 2-3pm. Cost is $30 Ages 8 and up; Class size minimum 5 – maximum 12. Registration is required by January 5. Learn the Chinese Lion Dance during this three week workshop series conducted by Sifu Sam Ling of Ling’s Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy. This colorful, multi-person dance incorporates martial arts moves. Two rehearsal weeks followed by a performance on January 21 to celebrate Chinese New Year! Call 518-793-2773 for details and registration.
- The Saratoga Children’s Theater has an Improv Workshop Saturday from 1-4pm. This class is designed for 10-14 year olds. Improv Theatre Improvisors turn audience suggestions into exciting theatre on the spot! In this special workshop participants will learn the secrets of improv through hands-on games and exercises. The afternoon will cover all the skills necessary to become expert improvisors. A great workshop for any aspiring actor, comedian, dancer–actually any young performer—all will find ways to enhance their ability to perform naturally and spontaneously in front of an audience. A fun, useful afternoon! Fee: $35. Call 580-1782 for more information.
- Also from the Saratoga Children’s Theater they have their Staff Showcase & Summer Season Announcement at 7pm at St. Peters School, 64 Hamilton Street in Saratoga Springs. You will be treated to an evening of Broadway-caliber performances by the very same staff that produces the shows at Saratoga Children’s Theater during the year and in the summer. Support SCT and enjoy their extremely talented staff members. This is an evening where you and your child can see their Summer Camp Staff performing.They will also be announcing their Summer 2012 shows. They will be producing 2 full-length Broadway musicals for middle and high school students- along with Junior and Kids shows as well. There will be opportunities to win summer discounts at the Showcase and soft drinks and refreshments included! Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for children 18 and under and 100% of the proceeds go to their summer camp scholarship program.To purchase your tickets please e-mail Meg Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 580-1782.
Sunday, Jan. 8th
- At the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology in Troy check out their Foil Rafts program at 1pm! Build your own foil raft in this design challenge workshop. Your task is to create a foil raft that can support the most weight without sinking in a tub of water. Come and test out your engineering skills in this fun hands-on workshop! Ages 5+, Free for CMOST Members, $2.00 Non-members, plus admission to The Museum. Pre-registration is required.
- I missed the chance to try my hand at shearing Francesca on Witte Farm this past weekend, but if you’re looking for a fun outdoor family event this weekend Foster Sheep Farm will hold the third annual Shearing Day Open House this Sunday, January 8th from 10am to 4pm. This family friendly event will be held at Foster Sheep Farm in Schuylerville. Saratoga P.L.A.N (Preserving Land & Nature) will be on hand to provide information about their mission and programs, including the new Three Bags Full Campaign, launched by a group of knitters and fiber artists, in cooperation with Saratoga PLAN, to raise $15,000 to permanently conserve the Foster Sheep Farm. Volunteers will be serving lamb soup, hot beverages, and baked goods and accepting donations for the farm conservation project. For more information on Shearing Day Open House call 518-338-6679.