I love matzo, either plain or topped with something yummy, and this matzo recipe is so delicious it is guaranteed to go fast. If you're like me you like a little salt with your chocolate, so feel free to use salted matzo in this recipe instead of plain, or even use a bit of sea salt sprinkled on top as well, delicious!
- 6 whole matzos
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans or other nuts (optional)
- 1 cup toffee candy bits
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line baking sheets with foil and pinch the edges to contain drips. Grease the foil well with butter and place the matzos onto the baking sheets, breaking them in half if needed.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan with the brown sugar over medium heat; bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 5 minutes. Ladle the hot sugar mixture over the matzos, spreading the mixture over the matzos with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the sugar mixture is bubbling and thick, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool until the toffee coating is firm, about 15 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on low until the chips are just melted (be careful to not let the chocolate overheat or scorch). Spread the melted chocolate over the toffee-coated matzos; sprinkle chopped pecans on top (or other nuts if using them). Place the baking sheets into the refrigerator until the matzos are cold, about 30 minutes (it is hard to wait that long, I know). Remove the matzos from the foil, break up into pieces, and enjoy! On the off chance you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container or plastic bags in the refrigerator or freezer.