There's a competition heating up in town and it's all over a favorite summer treat, the Ice Cream Sandwich. Our lovely Spa City is in competition with Albany for the Top Ice Cream Sandwich of the summer. It all started when the Saratoga Idiots challenged our local restaurants to make an amazing ice cream sandwich. They obliged, and then Albany blogger Fussy Little Blog chimed in saying Albany had the best ice cream sandwiches and the Throwdown was born. We've got some great offerings here in Saratoga, but the Idiots need you to help them narrow down the field. The top two from Saratoga will move on to face off against Albany's top two in a battle royale Ice Cream Sandwich Throwdown. If there was a MORE family friendly Throwdown I haven't heard of it (save the Wine Bar sampling for a date night maybe). The kids are loving this idea, and so am I. Robin, Ashley and I got to try two of these today and let me just say it won't be easy to pick a winner. There's a limited time these sandwiches will be available, I'd suggest calling each place ahead of time to make sure they have some just so you won't be disappointed. Here are the offerings from Saratoga restaurants, the top two from these four will move on to the Throwdown Competition:
- The Wine Bar - Strawberry Basil Ice Cream w/ Chocolate Balsamic Cookie.
- 28 Tables - Lucky Charms Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Comfort Kitchen - House-made vanilla bean ice cream between two house-made pizelles, chocolate ganache, salted caramel peanuts.
- Wheatfields - Coconut Macaroon and Amaretto Gelato.
The Wheatfields cookie was big and thick, very coconutty and nice and chewy. The Amaretto gelato definitely calls for seconds. The Comfort Kitchen take on the classic "drumstick" was pretty amazing. The pizelles tasted just like waffle cones, the vanilla ice cream was creamy and delicious, and dipped in chocolate it was incredible. Both very different, both delicious, I'm going to try all four before making my final decision.
Here are the competitors from Albany:
- The City Beer Hall- Cinnamon raisin cookie from All Good Bakers filled with apple cider donut ice cream from Bowman Orchards
- Creo- Blood orange and fennel ice cream with a pistachio cookie dipped in dark chocolate Kahlua
- New World Bistro- Valdeon-fig ice cream, pine nut cookie and choc-PX sherry-fig sauce
- All Good Bakers- Brandywine semifreddo with brown butter and cinnamon basil cookie.
Now go out and try these amazing ice cream sandwiches, then comment or email the Idiots to let them know your top picks to go up against Albany! Such a fun and different way to go out and get ice cream with the kids, and it is so much fun that these restaurants are taking part. If you want to take part you've got to do it soon though so get out there and try! Go Team Saratoga!