Don't worry about the weather tonight because the American Girl Night Pre-Show goes on rain or shine! In the event of particularly inclement weather, lawn guests will be invited to sit in the balcony (house usher discretion). There will be a giant circus sized tent set up on SPAC's lawn and kids can check out all of the cool pre-show activities. Dream Ponies will teach children about horses, their saddles, grooming and more (just petting, no riding tonight). Kids can check out some American Girl Saige Doll arts and crafts, The Lemonade Stand and The Cookie Stand (Gluten-free and Nut-free options are available) at the Tea Party Sponsored by Price Chopper Supermarkets and join KidzArt in a community art project. Cruise by the G. Williker's Pop-Up Toy Store right on the lawn at SPAC which will be open from 6-8pm (and during intermission) for even more fun!
While you're there tonight make sure to stop by the Smile Zone from SPAC Family Night Sponsor Pediatric Dentistry of Glens Falls where they will have gift bags, balloons, and a special raffle where they are giving away 10 American Girl Doll Dental Kits (how cute is that?)!
Also tonight, SPAC is giving away 10 Saige Copeland Dolls from American Girl! One giveaway ticket per person with entry to the venue. Enter to win at the Giveaway Table on the main lawn. The drawing will be at 7:40pm. You do not need to be present to win. SPAC will contact all winners that are not present at the time of the drawing.
Now, here are my American Girl Night Tips:
- Want to have a special pre-event dinner? The Hall of Springs has a great dinner buffet special for the theater, $29.95 for adults and $15.95 for children 6-10. Call (518) 583-3003 for reservations.
- Gates open at 6pm and all kids are just $5 on the lawn tonight. Last year we brought a picnic blanket and some chairs and found a nice spot on the lawn to sit and Lev found a little group of girls to dance with.
- Girls can, and do, bring their own dolls. But don't think that if your little girl doesn't have a doll (or an American Girl doll) that they will feel left out. Not everyone brings a doll, and not everyone brings an American Girl Doll. Just have them pick their favorite doll or stuffed animal or toy to bring, that makes it special no matter what.
- Make sure to get your photo taken in the Classic Photobooths by Saratoga Photobooth Company. Honestly the photo we took last year is one of my most treasured photos.
- In addition to the free cookies and lemonade, the concessions will be open so if you're hungry you can grab something to eat there too.
- Last year was the first year we took Lev (when she was 4) but there were girls younger and definitely older of course. Being able to just hang out on the lawn makes it easier to bring younger kids since they don't need to sit still and be quiet the whole time, so bringing younger kiddos is definitely okay!
- Boys come too! Finn is coming this year, and although there are definitely more girls, we saw a bunch of boys last year too. Finn felt like he "missed out" last year so we'll see what he thinks after tonight. With the ponies, arts and crafts, free cookies and more I'm sure he's going to find something he likes...
- Didn't get your tickets yet? No problem! You can buy tickets tonight at the Box Office when you get there.
Don't miss out on this truly great family experience. It is nights like tonight when I sit back and realize how lucky we are to have SPAC and the world class New York City Ballet right here in our very own city. Being able to sit on the beautiful SPAC lawn with my kids while the NYC Ballet performs? Priceless. This is one event that is firmly on our "traditions" list. Now I'm going to go join Levy as she counts down the minutes till tonight, I will see you all there! xoxo