Well Mamatogians, I'm not sure what to make of this whole Irene thing. The guys on NPR are telling me to make sure I have enough batteries for my flashlights (which I can't find after giving them to the kids so many times on bad dream nights) but weather.com is saying Friday and Saturday look pretty clear with some showers on Sunday and Monday. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed that the weather stays good for the biggest horse race of the Saratoga season, the Travers Stakes! There is so much going on around town this weekend, so check it out and hope that Irene bypasses us! I'm going to stop by Home Depot to get some flashlights just in case though. Stay tuned for our Freebie Friday Giveaway today readers! We're going to do some fun Travers Trivia! Hurricane Irene Updates:
- The Washington Fair has been cancelled for Sunday
- Saratoga Spa State Park is going to be closed on Sunday and the Avenue of the Pines in Saratoga Spa State Park will be closed from 8pm Saturday through Monday at 7am. For more information please visit www.nysparks.com.
- All state parks in the Saratoga-Capital District will be closed Sunday
- Quinn, the Tail Waggin' Tutor, will be in the Children's Room at the Saratoga Library today from 11am-noon! This is a great program for children who would like to practice reading aloud. Quinn is the sweetest and most mild mannered pup and he loves to hear any story your child selects. Call 518-584-7860 opt 3 beginning at 9 am tomorrow to reserve a 10 minute session with Quinn. Free admission.
- The Children's Museum has Wiggle and Giggle at 10am: a time for children to explore the many different things that they can do with their bodies...crawl through tunnels, walk the balance beam, roll balls, toss bean bags, and make music with all kinds of instruments. A great time to meet new friends and get some exercise. Cost is free with admission.
- Today continues the 2nd Annual McCarthy Family Lemonade Stand. Funds go toward the fight against childhood cancer. Today's stand will be on Friday the 26th, from 4pm-9pm, at G Wilikers Toys at 461 Broadway in Saratoga.
- Today is Battle of the Brews to Benefit the American Red Cross at the Saratoga Race Course from noon to 4pm. The American Red Cross Adirondack Saratoga Chapter and DeCrescente Distributing proudly present the 14th annual Battle of the Brews, pitting some of the region's finest craft brews in head-to-head competition to determine which beer reigns supreme. Cost is $30. Your admission includes beer sampling, light food refreshments, and a commemorative beer glass, all brought to you in an ideal spot behind the main grandstand. For More Information Call: (518) 792-6545.
- The 13th Annual Travers Wine Tasting to benefit Senior Services of Albany's Meals on Wheels program and other senior-related services is tonight at the National Museum of Racing in Saratoga from 7-10pm. Cost is $135-$150.
- The Tang Museum at Skidmore College has UpBeat on the Roof tonight from 7 to 8:30pm with the Tichy Boys, father and son swing-a-billy. Free admission.
- Saratoga Polo has the Hector and Susan Barrantes Tournament tonight at 5:30pm. For years polo stalwart Hector Barrantes and wife Susan, mother of Duchess Sarah Ferguson, called Saratoga Polo home. We remember this elegant couple each year in this prestigious and fast-paced tournament competition. Cost: Clubhouse Unreserved $25.00 per person. General Admission $25.00 per car load Clubhouse and General Admission Reserved $40.00 per car load.
- Revelers are invited to celebrate the Travers Eve Party on Friday night downtown. Much like the Hats Off and Final Stretch festivals, Travers Eve will feature live music, entertainment and lots to do downtown. Saratoga’s world-class jockeys will be signing autographs at the Saratoga Downtowner parking lot on Broadway from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Top riders with mounts in the Travers will be there to meet. Fans will receive a free collector’s Saratoga Race Course 2011 Jockey Autograph Book while supplies last. The autograph book is sponsored by Hannaford Supermarkets and features the top jockeys from 2010. Special “Horse Squishy” foam figurines for kids will be available at Impressions, G. Willikers, Celtic Treasures, The Candy Company, Ben and Jerry’s, Plum Dandy, Soave Faire and Zola Kids. Saratoga Race Course Mardi Gras beads with a medallion featuring the 2011 Travers Stakes logo, will be available at Hattie’s, Gaffney’s, Lillian’s, Circus Café, the Olde Bryan Inn, Sperry’s, Ben and Jerry’s, Irish Times and The Parting Glass (one item per person while supplies last). Reggie and the Red Hot Feetwarmers, MaryLeigh and the Fauves, the Racing City Chorus, Sparkles the Tall Juggler, face painter P.J Duell and balloon artists Mr. and Mrs. Bill will all be at the Broadway party. Live music will be at a number of Saratoga’s favorite restaurants and venues including: Erin Harkes at Gaffney’s; Street Corner Holler at the Mouzon House; Joe Gitto Trio at One Caroline Street Bistro; Joey & the Classics at the Inn at Saratoga; Cleen Street at The Irish Times; Upbeat on the Roof with the Tichy Boys at Skidmore; Al & Kathy Bain at the Olde Bryan Inn; Chandler Travis Three-O at Caffe Lena; Club Crush with DJ Mike Morgan at Saratoga Gaming and Raceway; and Michael Panza and The Peg Delaney Duo at Panza’s Restaurant. Cover charges may apply.
- Round 2 of the Hector and Susan Barrantes Memorial Trophy will be held today at 11am at Whitney 2 Field.
- There is a donation yoga class in Congress Park at 10am (rain or shine) for a 75 to 90 minute Yoga practice. Class will end just in time to enjoy lunch in town or at the local farmers market. This is a by donation class with part of the proceeds each week going to the Habitat for Humanity. Suggested donation is $10 but don’t let a shortage of funds prevent you from all this fun. It's a great healthy way to start off your weekend, and practicing yoga right in the heart of Saratoga in the open air can't be beat!
- It's TRAVERS Mamatogians! This is Saratoga's biggest race - the one the don't want to miss - the 142nd running of the $1 million Travers, the "Mid-Summer Derby" for three-year-olds at a mile and a quarter at the Saratoga Race Course. Who do you think will win it this year?
- Today is also the 22nd Annual Saratoga Bridges Travers Day at the Races - 11am; Buffet open from Noon - 3pm. Held on Travers Day at Saratoga Race Course, this event includes premium seating and hospitality with a delicious buffet and beverage service at The Carousel Restaurant. Ticket price is $125 and includes one complimentary cocktail per person, admission to The Clubhouse and a Post Parade Program.
- The Saratoga Farmer's Market is on today from 9am-1pm at the High Rock Pavilions on High Rock Ave. Vote for them for the Favorite Market in America, let's get them to number one!