Good morning Mamatogians! I am so excited to go to the 142nd running of the great Travers Stakes today! The sun is shining, although the weather report is saying there's an 80% chance of rain tonight and 100% tomorrow when Hurricane Irene pays us a visit, so for today we are just going to do Saturday's activities, but keep your eye on our Daily because we'll include any new closings right here to keep you in the loop! Hurricane Irene Updates:
- The Washington Fair has been cancelled for Sunday
- Saratoga Spa State Park is going to be closed on Sunday and the Avenue of the Pines in Saratoga Spa State Park will be closed from 8pm Saturday through Monday at 7am. For more information please visit www.nysparks.com.
- All state parks in the Saratoga-Capital District will be closed Sunday
- Albany International Airport will remain open Sunday. However, according to officials, travelers should be advised to anticipate flight cancellations and delays to and from destinations.
- Round 2 of the Hector and Susan Barrantes Memorial Trophy will be held today at 11am at Whitney 2 Field.
- There is a donation yoga class in Congress Park at 10am (rain or shine) for a 75 to 90 minute Yoga practice. Class will end just in time to enjoy lunch in town or at the local farmers market. This is a by donation class with part of the proceeds each week going to the Habitat for Humanity. Suggested donation is $10 but don’t let a shortage of funds prevent you from all this fun. It's a great healthy way to start off your weekend, and practicing yoga right in the heart of Saratoga in the open air can't be beat!
- It's TRAVERS Mamatogians! This is Saratoga's biggest race - the one the don't want to miss - the 142nd running of the $1 million Travers, the "Mid-Summer Derby" for three-year-olds at a mile and a quarter at the Saratoga Race Course. Who do you think will win it this year?
- Today is also the 22nd Annual Saratoga Bridges Travers Day at the Races - 11am; Buffet open from Noon - 3pm. Held on Travers Day at Saratoga Race Course, this event includes premium seating and hospitality with a delicious buffet and beverage service at The Carousel Restaurant. Ticket price is $125 and includes one complimentary cocktail per person, admission to The Clubhouse and a Post Parade Program.
- The Saratoga Farmer's Market is on today from 9am-1pm at the High Rock Pavilions on High Rock Ave. Vote for them for the Favorite Market in America, let's get them to number one!
- The Washington County Fair has their last day today due to the cancellation Sunday at the Washington County Fairgrounds, Greenwich, NY at 10am. Fun family entertainment! A celebration of agriculture in Washington County, NY. Livestock, Rodeo, Motorsports, Exhibits and Carnival. The cost is $10 for adults, children under 14 is free.
- Also don't forget today is the last day for Travers Restaurant Week! Restaurants will feature three-course meals from limited menus for $18.64, a price chosen to reflect the year of the first running of the Saratoga Race Course’s biggest event. All participating restaurants will offer the $18.64 menus for dinner from Sunday, Aug. 22, through Thursday, Aug. 26; the 141st running of the $1 million Travers Stakes is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 28. See the list of restaurants and their menus here.
- In Clifton Park there is the 2011 Summer Community Fair at the Shenendehowa Adult Community Center, 6 Clifton Common Court in Clifton Park. This is a great event for the whole family! The Shenendehowa Adult Community Center hosts its annual Summer Community Fair on August 27, 2011. There will be activities for the entire family and admission is free! Activities Include: Crafts, Demonstrations, Children’s activities, Bounce house, Food vendors, Face painter, Petting zoo, Pony rides, Book sale , and a Bake sale. Free admission. There will also be free child ID's done from 10-4.
- Today at noon at the Saratoga Eagles Club at 373 Crescent Ave is a benefit for Come Together for Kaitlin, a non-profit organization created for Kaitlin Bowman, a young girl from Corinth, NY who has a rare and fatal disease with a life expectancy of just 10 years old: Batten Disease. Please Come Together For Kaitlin and help us help her! Cost is $20 per adult and $5 for 12 yrs old and under.
- Today until Sunday at 10am is Day Out with Thomas! (I would call ahead if you're planning on going tomorrow) at Saratoga & North Creek Railway. Cost is $18 per ticket ages 2 and up (service charges may apply). Thomas the Tank Engine To Visit August 27, 28, September 3 & 4, 2011. Take a 25-minute ride with Thomas the Tank Engine with an opportunity to meet Sir Topham Hatt, Controller of The Railway. Enjoy activities for the whole family!