Good morning Mamatogians! The weekend is just around the corner and it is another beautiful day in Saratoga! Here are a few activities going on around town, as always let us know if there is anything we left out or anything you'd like to see us put on here, and let us know what your plans are for today! We are also going to give you a little peek into what's going on this weekend so keep reading...
- The Children's Museum has Story Art at 10:30 today. Reading together is always better, so please join them Thursdays for Story Art! Each week they will read an exciting new story to inspire a different art project. Imaginations welcome!Cost is free with admission.
- Join Hola-La at Saratoga Springs Public Library for Bilingual Stories and More today 11 am. Each session will feature new stories and activities for children ages three and older. Free, no tickets required, but space is limited.
- In case you missed the Saratoga Market yesterday, the Ballston Spa Farmers' Market is open today from 3-6 pm at Wiswall Park. A wide variety of locally grown, vegetables, fruits, eggs, meats, flowers and plants are available along with baked goods, specialty food items and handcrafted goods. Thursday markets take place just before the summer concerts...
- ...and tonight after the Ballston Spa Market they continue their popular free Concerts in the Park series. Bring your blankets, lawn chairs and a picnic and dine al fresco (or enjoy what you just bought at the market!) while enjoying the best in local music, from indie rock to pop, jazz to country. The concerts take place every Thursday evening through August from 6-8 pm in Wiswall Park. Tonight's performer is Ryan Jenson and admission is free.
Also today we are going to give you a Weekend Sneak Peek of what's going on for this weekend to give you ample time to plan something fun! There is a lot going on so here it is!
- The Children's Museum has Stretching with Stuffee at 10am. Stuffee will be out to facilitate exercise through silly songs, games, and stretching. This gentle, structured program will promote imagi-native movement and flexibility. Kids and parents, please come dressed to move! Cost is free with admission.
- Friday is Fabulous Fillies Day at the Saratoga Race Course! Join in the "pink" atmosphere as they celebrate women and the glamour they bring to Saratoga Race Course during Fabulous Fillies Day. Held just one day before the Spa’s premier filly race, the Alabama, ladies will have opportunity to peruse an array of displays at B 95’s “What Women Want – Saratoga style” in the backyard featuring products and information focused on fashion, health care, personal improvement and leisure. Trackside will also take on a pink hue in an effor to to raise funds fo rht Breast Canver Research Foundation.
- At Saratoga Polo there is the Cantering for Kidneys Tailgate Party from 5-8pm! There is a $10.00 entry fee to be a part of the tailgate contest that does not include entrance fee to the polo match. Come be a part of a new and exciting event and help raise money for a great cause. The theme of the tailgate party is "Health and Horses". Hall of Fame jockey Randy Romero will be judging the tailgating competition and there will be lots of fun and prizes for best in show!
- UpBeat on the Roof at the Tang Museum at Skidmore College has Dana and Susan Robinson this week with their old-time mountain music & contemporary songwritin, admission is free, 7-8:30pm.
- Easter Seals New York will hold their 2nd Annual Wins for Kids at the Saratoga Race Course from 12:30 to 5:00 pm, offering an afternoon of live horse racing, cocktails, and gourmet food! All proceeds from Wins for Kids will support Easter Seals New York’s Camp Colonie. Camp Colonie, located in the Capital Region, is a New York State Education Department approved summer school and day camp for children with disabilities, special needs and their typically developing peers.
- Saturday is also the 131st running of the Alabama Stakes at the track and it also kicks of the 2011 Travers Festival in Saratoga Springs! Each year, events and entertainment at the Travers Festival include live music, street festivals, the Travers Celebration Gala, food competitions and cook-offs, giveaways and much more. Last year, most of the 50+ events planned were charity oriented and family friendly.
- Going on from Sat, Aug 20, 2011 until Sun, Aug 21, 2011 from 10am to 5pm is the Saratoga Arts Celebration at the National Museum of Dance, 99 South Broadway in Saratoga. The Saratoga Arts Celebration is a juried fine arts and fine crafts festival of visual and performing arts. There will be over 100 juried artists exhibiting representing over 25 states and Canada, children's activities, demonstrations, art talks, dance and musical performances and a food court. The National Museum of Dance will host this event on the great lawn of the Museum. The festival and parking are FREE and the event is FAMILY FRIENDLY.Cost is free and it will go on rain or shine.
- Like giveaways? Head to the track today for their sports bag giveaway! Visitors can pick up a Saratoga Sports Bag, the newest Saratoga souvenir, FREE with paid admission while supplies last.
- Cat Walk for Kidneys is being held at the Gideon Putnam Hotel in Saratoga from 10:30am to 1:30pm. If you have a passion for fashion, then don't miss this event! Enjoy brunch in Saratoga at the fabulous Gideon Putnam Resort and enjoy a preview of Saratoga fashion. Gracing the Catwalk will be Miss New York City Brittaney Jasenski and her sister Kylie, local favorites Ciara Austin, Takara Wiles, Chris Wessell, Rebecca Ehle, Nicaya Isabella, and Colleen Cunningham. Enjoy fashion from Rockabella, Piper, Evoke Style, Bird of Paradise Boutique and Something Blue Bridal. Cost is $45 per person.
- Sunday kicks off Travers Restaurant Week! Running through Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at participating restaurants throughout the Capital Region, restaurants will feature three-course meals from limited menus for $18.64, a price chosen to reflect the year of the first running of the Saratoga Race Course’s biggest event. All participating restaurants will offer the $18.64 menus for dinner from Sunday, Aug. 22, through Thursday, Aug. 26; the 141st running of the $1 million Travers Stakes is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 28. See the list of restaurants and their menus here. Menus generally include several choices of appetizers, entrées and desserts; tax, tip and beverage are extra. A comparison of several Travers Restaurant Week menus with restaurants’ regular prices suggest the promotion reflects a savings of $5 to $10 per meal. Restaurants from 11 Capital Region communities are participating in Travers Restaurant Week, but none are in Saratoga Springs. The absence likely reflects the fact that Spa City restaurants do not need to offer discounts during their busiest season to lure diners; restaurants elsewhere in the region, however, often lose business to Saratoga during track season. Restaurant Weeks are usually offered during slower periods of the year.