Happy Wednesday Mamatogians! There's a bunch of fun things going on around town today, the weather is looking pretty good today so get out there and enjoy these last days of summer and take some pictures for our Summer in Saratoga Photo Contest too! We've also been getting a lot of great suggestions for our Online Book Club, keep sending those suggestions in and we'll vote on what book to start with this weekend. When your kids go back to school we'll be hitting the books as well with our first selection, can't wait!
- Like ice cream? Then you'll want to take part in the Stewart's Ice Cream Eating Contest! The coolest way to beat the summer heat, racing fans will come to the Spa spoon-in-hand as they prepare to compete in the ultimate in chilly contests - the Stewart's ice cream eating contest! Contestants will be divided into three age groups - kids, teens and adults - as they battle to see who can down a pint of ice cream the fastest. The competition will unfold outside the jockey silks area at Saratoga Race Course. The winner will receive gift certificates for free ice cream courtesy of Stewart's Shops.
- Saratoga Specialties Company is excited to announce that Saratoga Springs Mayor Scott T. Johnson will proclaim that August 24th is "Saratoga Specialties Original Saratoga Chip Day" today at City Hall in Saratoga from 11-11:30am. This day will mark the 158th anniversary of the invention of the Saratoga Chip by George Crum at Moons Lake House on Saratoga Lake. The proclamation also recognizes the considerable efforts, achievements, and successes by Saratoga Specialties Company in reintroducing the Original Saratoga Chip in its original packaging to the nationwide consumer market. The first one hundred people to attend will receive a FREE snack box of Original Saratoga Chips as well as a sample of the new "For Goodness Shakes" seasonings.
- Artrageous is at the Children's Museum today at 2pm. Want to be the next Picasso? Together your kids will learn about famous artists and then make their own masterpieces! Each week they will explore a different art style and medium, for a summer full of artrageous fun.Cost is free with admission to the museum.
- The Saratoga Farmers' Market is today from 3-6 at the High Rock Pavilions on High Rock Ave. Did you vote for them yet for America's Favorite Farmers Market? Go ahead and click here to see if we can get them to number one!
- Tonight at 6:30pm at the Gideon Putnam Hotel in Saratoga is The Belmont Child Care Association Country Fair - the 14th annual dinner and auction honoring Fasig-Tipton and Blue Horse Charities to benefit The Belmont Child Care Association's Anna House. Cost is $250 per person.
- At Universal Preservation Hall tonight from 7:30pm to 9:30pm is Colin Hay. While his voice and visage are still familiar to millions from his tenure as front-man, principal songwriter, and lead vocalist of pop sensations Men at Work ("Down Under," "Overkill," "Who Can It Be Now?"), the past 10 years have found him quietly re-introducing himself to new generations of fans. Must be 18 years old. Cost is $48.
- The Washington County Fair continues today at the Washington County Fairgrounds, Greenwich, NY at 10am. Fun family entertainment! A celebration of agriculture in Washington County, NY. Livestock, Rodeo, Motorsports, Exhibits and Carnival. The cost is $10 for adults, children under 14 is free.
- Also don't forget Travers Restaurant Week continues! Running through Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at participating restaurants throughout the Capital Region, restaurants will feature three-course meals from limited menus for $18.64, a price chosen to reflect the year of the first running of the Saratoga Race Course’s biggest event. All participating restaurants will offer the $18.64 menus for dinner from Sunday, Aug. 22, through Thursday, Aug. 26; the 141st running of the $1 million Travers Stakes is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 28. See the list of restaurants and their menus here.