I have one word for you readers, CHOWDERFEST!!! Oh and I'm pretty sure there's a football game this weekend too, right? Check out all the Chowderfest details here, and in case you have time to fit in anything else check out the other great activities going on this weekend too! Don't forget about the Mamatoga Know Before You Go Chowderfest (with Kids) Map!
Friday, Feb. 3rd
- At the Saratoga Springs Public Library from 10:30am - 12pm is Library Babies, an informal playgroup for babies under 24 months with a parent or caregiver. No registration necessary. The first 15 minutes on Fridays will include fingerplays, rhymes and simple books presented by a librarian. Group meets Fridays,1/20 through 5/11 (except for 2/24, 4/6 and 4/13.)
- Winterfest will take place from February 3rd-5th, 2012 and brings with it a weekend of live music, special events, great entertainment–and, of course, Chowderfest! The weekend includes a Winterfest Wine Tasting, Chowderfest 2012, and much more! There will be all kinds of fun and entertainment going on throughout Saratoga all weekend long!
- Winterfest Wine Tasting at the Holiday Inn. 232 Broadway, 584-6511 ext. 1352. $10 a person. Sample a selection of wines and a display of hors d'oeuvres. All proceeds will benefit Mollie Wilmot Center at Saratoga Hospital and Domestic Violence and Rape Crisis Center of Saratoga.
Tonight from 8 to 11pm is Saratoga Independent School’s Casino Night Scholarship Fund at Canfield Casino in Saratoga Springs. Saratoga Independent School is expanding its educational initiatives by creating a tuition assistance fund. To launch the funding, the school will be hosting its first-ever annual Casino Night and the public is cordially invited to join in the fun and a chance to win a million dollars. Tickets are $65 – $150, for more information visit http://www.saratogacasinonight.com/ or call (518) 583-0841.
Saturday, Feb. 4th
- Chowderfest is one of my all time favorite local activities! Today from 11 am to 4 pm, you can head downtown to enjoy a taste of Saratoga’s top chowders! Samples are a dollar a cup (3oz serving), and you can even bring your doggie along to sample some delicious dog chowder! The fun part of Chowderfest is that you get a chance to choose the winners! Before you start, pick up a ballot form at any participating restaurant. Taste as many different soups and chowders as you can and vote for your favorites. Turn in completed ballot forms at either the Saratoga Arts Council or the Saratoga Visitor Center (where you can also pick up your t-shirt for $7!). Winners will be announced at 5:30pm at the Saratoga Springs City Center. For you dog lovers, the fifth annual Dog Chow Down will start at 1:00pm at the Saratoga Downtowner Motel. Saratoga’s “First Dog”, Chase (Mayor and Julie Johnson’s rescued Cocker Spaniel) will decide the winner and who will get to hold on to the Chow Down trophy until next year’s Chowderfest! There are always a ton of fun things going on downtown during Chowderfest, live music happens at a number of different venues, we’ll be updating here with all the schedule details as they come in. Don’t forget to pick up your official Chowderfest “Chug” before you head out, the chugs are re-usable, environmentally friendly mug/lid/spoon combination and are available to purchase at Crafters Gallery, Impressions of Saratoga and Just Plain Good for $5.00 each!
- Join the Wonder Room at the Ballston Spa Indoor Farmer’s Market between 9am and 1pm for Family Fun at the Farmer’s Market where they’ll be offering farm inspired games and creative crafts for kids aged 3-11.
- At Prestwick Chase, 100 Saratoga Blvd, Saratoga Springs from noon-3pm WinterFest Cardboard & Duct Tape Sled Races will be held on the front lawns of Prestwick Chase. There will be no charge for admission. There are no entry fees for sled contestants.
- At the Saratoga Springs Public Library from 10 - 11am is Library Babies, an informal playgroup for babies under 24 months with a parent or caregiver. No registration necessary. From 11:30-12pm is Saturday Family Story Time for children ages 2 to 5 years, with a parent or caregiver. Siblings welcome, too! No registration necessary.
- Annual Moonlight Ski and Snowshoe at Camp Saratoga off of Scout Road in Ganesvoort from 6:00-9:30 pm. 2 1/2 miles of groomed luminary-lit trails for cross country skiing or snowshoeing. Bonfires and free cocoa. FREE and open to public event, $3 rental of snowshoes beginning at 5:30 pm. If there is no snow, the event will be postponed until the next full moon - March 3rd. Sponsored by Wilton Wildlife Preserve & Park, 518-450-0321.
Sunday, Feb. 5th
- Today at 11am, as part of Winterfest, take part in the 13th Annual Saratoga SPA Winterfest 5KM Snowshoe Race at Saratoga Spa State Park! That’s right, a snowshoe RACE! Click here for details and the application. There will be a limited supply of Dion snowshoes available for $5 rental fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a pair or phone Jeff Clark at 518-581-7550.
- At the Saratoga Springs Public Library today from 2 - 3pm they are having Super Bowl Sunday Family Dance with Peter, Paul and George! Whether you are 2 or 102, enjoy these toe-tapping tunes consisting of reels, jigs, polkas, hornpipes and waltzes. This program is appropriate for all ages. No registration is necessary.
- SPAC's Junior Committee's 2nd Annual Winter Ball - BOND: Shaken Not Stirred at the Hall of Springs from 8:00-12:00 am. Bond attire admired, but not required. All proceeds benefit the Classical Performing Arts at SPAC. www.spac.org