The original School Break Survival Guide is back, this time it's the Spring Break Edition. Yes, the kids are off from school AGAIN, but this break will (hopefully) be easier and more enjoyable because we can get outside and run around! Check back often for updates, and if you have an event or activity you'd like to include email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. xoxo MONDAY, APRIL 1st
Drum Beats Little Feet is at the Children's Museum at Saratoga from 10-10:30am. Free with admission, please pre-register. Recommended for children 3-5 years of age. Heather Bartos, a local drumming instructor, will teach children to explore music in fun and creative environment through songs, dancing and drumming! Find more about Heather’s classes at www.drumbeatsandlittlefeet.com. Only 25 seats available so sign up today!
- Join the University at Albany's College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering for NanoDays Activities* & Gowning Activity at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. Stephen Stewart, CNSE Equipment Evaluation and Support Specialist, will show children and families how to gown up in the "bunny suits" worn in CNSE's high-tech cleanrooms and conduct several hands-on, nano-experiments. From 11am-1pm, no registration required. Just drop in sometime between 11am and 1pm. For all ages at the Crawshaw Story Room.
- Also, all week at the Saratoga Springs Public Library is the first SSPL Card Catalog Art contest for teens! Ever wonder what happened to all those old library catalog cards (some of you might not even know what these are!) when we went to our online library catalog? Well, the library has saved thousands of them, and are using them in the first SSPL Card Catalog Art contest for teens! During March, come to the library when the Teen Room is open and pick up some catalog cards that inspire you (maybe it's a book you love, or an interesting subject), turn the card into a piece of art, and drop it off (in the Teen Room while it's open) before April 7th. All artwork will be on display from April 8-30, and the public will vote on their favorite pieces between 4/21 - 4/28. The winners will receive gift cards to AC Moore! For more info, call 584-7860 x 239.
TUESDAY, APRIL 2nd
- There is a FREE Open House Event: Easy and Healthy Weeknight Meals at Healthy Living Market and Cafe tomorrow from 2-4pm. Stop by the Learning Center and watch Chef-Instructor Shannon Beckwith make Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Grits and a delicious and easy Sweet Potato-Peanut Bisque. Don’t forget to try a sample and take home the recipe!
Tuesday for Tots "Bugs" is from 10am-12pm and 1-3pm at the Children's Museum at Saratoga.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3rd
- We're so excited for Fish Stocking! Dust off your buckets and head down to Geyser Creek Picnic Area at Saratoga Spa State Park at 11am for a sight to behold! 800 Brown trout will be released into Geyser Creek with the help of local families. In addition there will be t-shirts to tie-dye, food available for donation and plenty of fishy demonstrations! Please call (518) 584-2000 for more information. Here's a little tip, GET THERE EARLY!
- At Healthy Living Market and Cafe check out the FREE Open House Events: Kids in the Kitchen- Veggie Spring Rolls from 12-2pm. All children are welcome to stop by the Learning Center to meet Chef-Instructor Shannon Beckwith and make some fun Veggie Spring Rolls!
Eenie Meenie Music Presents: “Sing Into Spring!” from 10-10:30am at the Children's Museum at Saratoga. Free with admission, please pre-register, 15 family limit.Recommended for children up to 4 years of age. Spring is on its way, come join Sylvia's Eenie Meenie Music and hop like bunnies, sing like birds, wave scarves in the wind, and drum up a big joyful noise! Make some beautiful music with your family in this class of Music Together®, the internationally recognized early childhood music and movement program for infants, toddlers, young children, and the grownups who love them. This class is limited to 15 families, so be sure to register in advance by phone or at the Museum's front desk. Check out Sylvia’s classes at eeniemeeniemusic.com.
Also at the Children's Museum at Saratoga is Alphabet Soup from 10:30-11am and NY Life Free Child ID’s from 10am-12pm.
- At 11am and 1pm is the Debbie and Friends Family Concert at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. Debbie Cavalier of Debbie and Friends has worked with artists Shari Lewis and Bob McGrath of Sesame Street among others. Her shows are all about making music and having fun! Join Debbie and Friends for this very special April break week concert for children and families. Want to know more? Check out one of Debbie's concert DVDs from their collection! Pick up free tickets in the Children's Room. Limit: 10 tickets. 2 show time options: 11am or 1pm. Call 584-7860, press 3 for more information.
THURSDAY, APRIL 4th
- The Adult & Senior Center of Saratoga is offering a free intergenerational art program from 10am-noon. This free workshop offers the opportunity for children to work alongside seniors in an informal creative setting. A fun and funky still life will be assembled for inspiration. Participants will be guided as much or as little as they wish while they use acrylic paints on canvas. At the end of the session, everyone will take home their own masterpiece! Kids 8 and up can be dropped off for the workshop, but kids under 8 must be accompanied by an adult. For more on the program, click right here.
- "SOLD OUT"
Check out Children in Nature with Saratoga Springs Library from 1-2:30pm. Go on a nice, leisurely stroll through Congress Park and learn to identify some of the trees found there. After the walk kids will return to the library to create twig vases! Please contact the Saratoga Springs Public Library at (518) 584-7860 option 3 to register.
- Silly Science LIVE Bugs and Arachnids is at the Children's Museum at Saratoga from 10:30am-12pm.
- I will be teaching a Kids Yoga Class at One Yoga Saratoga from 4:30-5:30pm for kids aged 4-9. No experience is necessary! There is an Hour of Power class for adults next door at Hot Yoga Saratoga, for this week only there is a Spring Break special, purchase one Hour of Power yoga class and receive free admission for the kids yoga class that day!
FRIDAY, APRIL 5th
- Welcome Spring! Games and Movement Activities will be at the Saratoga Springs Public Library from 10:30-11:30am. Join Lili Loveday in a program designed to celebrate spring through movement, games and other activities. For children in grades K-3. Please call 584-7860, press 3 or stop in to register.
- Seeds and Pots: Starting Lupines will be at Camp Saratoga at Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park at 2pm. Help them restore the habitat of the endangered Karner blue and threatened frosted elfin butterflies by growing wild blue lupine from seed! They will provide seeds, pots, and soil; they need your green thumb. They will plant the seedlings during the June 1st Wilton Wildlife Festival.
- Special Wiggle and Giggle "Go Kids" Activities will be at the Children's Museum at Saratoga from 10am-1pm. Check out more on Go Kids right here! Also at the museum will be mixed media from 1-2:30pm.
SATURDAY, APRIL 6th
- Healthy Living Market and Cafe will have a FREE Open House: Kids in the Kitchen-Cupcake Decorating event at their store in Saratoga from 2-4pm. Children are welcome to stop by the Learning Center to meet Chef-Instructor Shannon Beckwith and decorate some delicious cupcakes!
- Curious George Swings Into Spring Screening and Meet & Greet George will be at the Saratoga Springs Public Library from 10:30-11:30am. Join WMHT educator, Barbara Lukas for a special screeing of Curious George Swings into Spring and meet and greet George! For more information call 584-7860, press 3.
- Also at the Saratoga Springs Public Library from 2-3pm kids can read to Buck, the Schnoodle reading therapy dog. Buck is certified through Share-a-Pet's Pawsitive Reading Program and is happy to sit quietly and listen appreciatively to any story you may wish to read. Please call the day of the program to schedule a 10-minute appointment at 584-7860, opt. 3. Please note that Buck has a busy social schedule and some of these dates may change. Go to their website for the latest information.
- Story Art is at the Children's Museum at Saratoga from 10:30-11am.
- Enjoy a FREE Day: go! At The World Awareness Children's Museum in Glens Falls! The World Awareness Children’s Museum and the Children’s Health Insurance Connection, a program of the Adirondack Health Institute, have come together to connect area children to free or low cost health insurance. From 10am - 2:30pm, families can discover the fun of a hands-on children’s museum together and if their child is without health insurance coverage, they can quickly and easily begin the screening process on site that day. At the museum, children can explore and play in a Nigerian Marketplace and a Dragon Boat and give chopsticks a try in a Japanese Washitsu (a traditional-style room.) They can play world music on a range of instruments, while dressed in world fashions. They will also be doing giveaways that will include passes to the movies, The Great Escape and memberships to the children’s museum! For more information call (518) 761-0300.
SUNDAY, APRIL 7th
- The Sunday Club, an informal weekend club for teens on the Autism Spectrum to get together socially and play board games is from 12-3pm at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. For ASD teens who are self-sufficient. For more info email email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATE!
- Preschool Chefs: Deviled Eggs will be on Tuesday, April 9th from 10:30-11:30am at Healthy Living Market and Cafe. Dying eggs for Easter was a blast…but what do you and your junior egg artists do with the mountain of leftovers? Deviled eggs, of course! Healthy Living Market and Cafe's Learning Center Chef-Instructor Shannon Beckwith will help your little ones peel, measure, mix, and pipe their way to perfect deviled eggs. These “egg-stra” special creations are as delicious as they are adorable! This class is great for kids aged 3-5; all kids must be accompanied by an adult (adult admission free). $20/ child. Click here to register.