Now, if you're like me and have a crazy avocado obsession (I can eat them just mashed with sea salt and olive oil on them as a snack, every day) you might have stopped reading at Fried Avocado. And you might have been like "WHAT?!". Yes. You can (some may say you SHOULD) fry avocados and they. Are. Amazing.
I decided to try it last week after I missed out on going to the Food Truck Festival in Troy. Slidin' Dirty, this neat little food truck I got a chance to try at the Beekman Street Art Fair (part of SaratogaArtsFest last year, coming up this year in June) had been all over Twitter talking about their avocado fries. Then Comfort Kitchen got into the mix with fried avocado tacos. I sadly missed out on BOTH (so sad) and had to try to attempt them in my kitchen. I fully plan on trying both the avocado fries and am planning on begging Rory from Comfort Kitchen to make the tacos again. In the meantime, try these out for a fun twist on tacos for Meatless Monday.
- Vegetable oil for frying (I used Safflower oil)
- 1/4 cup flour
- About 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in. wedges
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 in. oil.
- Mix the flour with 1/4 tsp. salt in a shallow plate. Put eggs and panko in separate shallow plates. Dip the avocado slice in the flour, shaking off excess. Next, dip it in the egg, then panko to coat.
- Fry a few slices of avocado at a time until deep golden, about 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer slices to a plate lined with paper towels. Keep them warm in the oven while cooking remaining avocados. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
Serve these with warmed tortillas, some chopped lettuce and tomato and your choice of toppings (keep it vegetarian for Meatless Monday of course). I like to blend some chopped fresh cilantro with some non-fat Greek yogurt and a bit of lime for a healthy topping (a nice counter balance to the fried stuff, don't you think?). The crunchiness of the panko breading with the creaminess of the avocado is really delicious. Need more Meatless Monday ideas? Try the popular Coastal Kale Salad to go with the tacos, and make your own tortillas too! Enjoy! xoxo