It's hot out. Like REALLY hot out. And chances are you probably ate some sort of barbecued or grilled meat over the Fourth of July weekend, so let's take a break from the steak and make a tasty (and super healthy) Meatless Monday Summer dish. Think outside the boring pasta salad box and try this kid friendly recipe your whole family will love. I tried the watermelon tomato salad for the first time on the Fourth at the Mom and Pop BBQ Competition and it was AMAZING. Kudos to the Kowalewski team who served up this incredibly delicious and refreshing dish. Baby Portobello Sliders (makes 6 sliders)
- 6 baby portobello mushrooms
- 6 slider buns
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2-3 ounces cheese of your choice (try gouda, goat cheese, swiss...), sliced into squares
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (optional)
Heat a skillet on medium-low heat and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and let caramelize, stirring occasionally for about 8-10 minutes.
While onions are caramelizing, brush mushrooms with remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with pepper, paprika, onion and chili powder. Heat a skillet (you can grill them too) on medium heat and cook until mushrooms are juicy and tender, about 5 minutes on each side.
Once they are cooked add your cheese like you would with a burger to let it melt.
Assemble the sliders by placing the mushroom on the bun, then top with onions, avocado, and BBQ sauce (if you prefer). Have the kids build their own mini burgers just the way they like them!
- 1/2 seedless watermelon, cut into about 1-inch chunks
- 2 large and ripe tomatoes (best if they are heirloom), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tsp large-grain sea salt
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic or vinegar
- 1 green onion chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp chopped herbs (I used fresh basil and parsley)
- About 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios (try almonds if you're not a pistachio fan)
In a large bowl, combine the watermelon and tomatoes. Combine the salt with the olive oil and vinegar and pour over the melon and tomato mixture. Sprinkle chopped herbs over the mixture to taste, finely chop green onions and toss lightly. Top with the feta and pistachios. So easy the kids can do it (after you've done the chopping, of course)!
So there you have it, a healthy, delicious Meatless Monday meal for the family, enjoy! xoxo